The Mindset of Freshmen
August 24, 2005 - 4:00am
Beloit College tries to help academics each fall with a "mindset list" to explain the perspectives of the new class of freshmen.
This year's list noting that most freshmen were born in 1987, explains that, for them:
- Liberace, Jackie Gleason, and Lee Marvin have always been dead.
- Heart-lung transplants have always been possible.
- Wayne Gretzky never played for Edmonton.
- Iran and Iraq have never been at war with each other.
- Voice mail has always been available.
- Bill Gates has always been worth at least a billion dollars.
- They do not remember "a kinder and gentler nation."
- They never saw the shuttle Challenger fly.
- They never saw a Howard Johnson’s with 28 ice cream flavors.