AAUP Denounces East-West U. for Treatment of Adjuncts
- How to Avoid a Union Election
- Commencement Speakers Announced: East-West, Fielding Graduate U., Hudson County
- Quick Takes: AAUP General Secretary Will Leave, MIT Dean Had Degree She Never Cited, NCAA Punishes WVU, Accrediting Group's Stance, Threats at Delaware County, $185,000 Payment to Prof to Leave, New Science Academy Members, Sallie Mae Enters UK Market
- Essay on difficulty of finding a job for an expert on Russia
- NYU establishes campuses and sites around the globe
The American Association of University Professors has issued a statement harshly criticizing East-West University for telling all adjuncts that they should would not be hired this summer and would need to be interviewed by the chancellor to obtain future assignments -- moves that the university says reflect a commitment to hiring good adjuncts but that many see as an effort to hurt a union organizing drive. "The actions of East-West University may have set a new low in managerial practice and have damaged both the institution’s labor relations and its educational quality. Blanket non-renewals, which in reality are large-scale layoffs, are a problematic employment practice that detracts from educational quality," said the AAUP statement.