Fired Rutgers Coach Will Be Paid $100,000 Bonus
- Rutgers says it didn't have cause to fire Rice. Contract suggests otherwise
- Video shows Rutgers basketball coach assaulting players and using slurs
- UNIVERSITY SPORTS IN THE AGE OF THE DSM
- After months of controversy, a $90,000 bonus for Rutgers's president
- Report shows how Rutgers botched handling of former coach, reiterates 5-year-old recommendations to improve athletics
Mike Rice, who was fired Wednesday as men's basketball coach at Rutgers University after video exposed the abusive way he had treated players, will be getting a $100,000 bonus, the Associated Press reported. Under his contract, he is due the bonus for completing the basketball season that just ended. Had the university fired him in December, when the athletics director saw the video and opted only to suspend Rice, the coach would not have been entitled to the bonus.