Call for Expanding Apprenticeships
- Obama calls for expanded apprenticeships, review of federal training programs
- Obama again proposes new money for job training at community colleges
- Lifetime benefit caps are on way out but still affect college students
- Calls for major reform of college sports unlikely to produce meaningful change
- The 2008 Republican Party Platform
A dramatic expansion of apprenticeships would strengthen the nation's economy while boosting workers' lifetime earnings and benefits by an average of $300,000, according to a new report from the Center for American Progress. The report suggests policies to encourage the use of apprenticeships, including tax incentives. Its authors focus on the example of South Carolina, which saw a 570 percent increase in employer participation in apprenticeships over six years.