What's New at University of Venus 20 August 2011
August 21, 2011 - 10:45am
What’s New at University of Venus - Week Ending 20 August 2011
University of Venus Around the Web:
- Janine Utell at The GuardianLeadership lessons from Tina Fey.
- Prof Hacker commentary on Janine Utell’s “Lessons from Bossypants.”
What’s New With Our Writers:
- Mary Churchill was a panelist at The Guardian’s Live chat: developing higher education management in the UK on August 19, 2011.
- Afshan Jafar’s first book, "Women's NGOs in Pakistan" came out this week (Palgrave Macmillan). The book uncovers the skillful maneuvering that women's NGOs have to perform in order to survive a hostile environment. How do NGOs overcome the suspicion of them as "Western" agents? How do they convince people that contrary to common perceptions, they are not there to "lead women astray from Islam"? And how, in the context of poverty, fundamentalism, and ethnic conflict, do NGOs convince people that women's issues merit attention in the first place? It can be found at Macmillan or on Amazon.
- Lee Skallerup Bessette will be participating in The Guardian’s live chat on surviving your first academic post this Friday, August 25, 2011 from 8-10 AM Eastern.
- Ernesto Priego will be participating at 'Whatever is to become of books?' 09.17.11 at UCL.
Our Writers At Other Blogs:
- Lee Skallerup Bessette is Bad Female Academic for being a Shameless Self-Promoter, provides a review of the revised edition of Higher Education? and a review of newly-released Now You See It, and finally reflects on why she is still teaching in higher education.
- Melonie Fullick At Speculative Diction posted about “Shameful self-promotion vs. meritocracy” in academehttp://t.co/DnYKDdK and provided some teaching resources from around the web in “Fun with gender & media”.
- Elizabeth Lewis Pardoe commends Colin Firth’s expert portrayals of Faculty on Film.
Search for Jobs
Eastern Michigan University is about....People. Education. Service. Community engagement. Excellence... Whether you are a student, alumnus/a, future...
Comprising five colleges - Visual and Performing Arts, Business, Education, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Graduate Studies - Kutztown University...