What's New at University of Venus - 24 September 2011
September 25, 2011 - 11:00am
UVenus Around the Web:
- Our UVenus networking challenge was highlighted at The Guardian (UK)
- The University of Warwick builds on the UVenus challenge and creates their own.
What’s New With Our Writers:
- Lee Skallerup Bessette just had a paper accepted in the Canadian journal, Open Letter, a special issue on collaboration in Canadian Literature. The paper, titled “Any differences between our versions and Scott’s…” : Collaboration, Anxiety of Influence, and a Translation of Anne Hebert’s “Le Tombeau des rois,” questions when a collaboration becomes a collaboration.
- Mary Churchill is working with ADVANCE Northeastern: Advancing Women in International and Interdisciplinary Networks.
- Ana Dinescu’s review was published in the September 2011 CEU Review of Political Science (vol.6, no.3) - “Peter Gatrell and Nick Baron (eds.), Warlands. Population.Resettlement and State Reconstruction in the Soviet-East European Borderlands, 1945-50.”
- Melonie Fullick was a member of the panel for the Guardian Higher Education live chat on student consumerism in postsecondary education.
- Ernesto Priego heard the first advance copy of 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die (edited by Paul Gravett, with an introduction by Terry Gilliam; Octopus Books 2011) has been seen. Ernesto wrote 7 entries on classic Mexican comics for the volume. The book will be unofficially launched on 8th October in London. Ernesto also gatecrashed the Guardian Higher Education Network’s “Using social media to enhance student experience seminar” using their hashtag #studentexp. Some highlights of the discussion were “storified” here.
Our Writers At Other Blogs:
- Lee Skallerup Bessette wonders how to encourage creativity and play in her classes, and reveals that students need to be forced into the library. If you’re wondering how to encourage creativity, check out the archives from this past Wednesday’s #FYCchat.
- At Speculative Diction blog, Melonie Fullick considers the “Up Series” documentaries and the value of life stories for understanding the role of education in socioeconomic mobility.
- Elizabeth Lewis Pardoe demonstrates some Fortytude but remains a Zumba Humbug.
- At Words Are My Game, Liana Silva responds to Seanan McGuire’s post on the digital divide in “The Digital Divide Goes Beyond Digital”
- Lee Skallerup Bessette will be presenting at the Canadian Women Writers Conference in Toronto on October 27-29. If you’re in the area and interested in the conference, please check it out.
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories
Grand Forks, ND
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Welcome to Florence-Darlington Technical College (FDTC). The mission of Florence-Darlington Technical College is to provide comprehensive technical...
UniversityNow is a social venture based in San Francisco, CA, whose mission is to ensure that a quality higher education is available to people...