October 23, 2011
UVenus Around the Web:
- Dr. Davis tried to decide whether she matches Elizabeth Lewis Pardoe’s definition of a dilettante or a Renaissance woman at Teaching College English.
- Catherine Schuler also wonders whether she is still an academic at her blog Rhetoricat (in response to Liana Silva’s August U Venus post, “How Do You Define an Academic?”)
- A nice shout out to Itir Toksoz and UVenus at Snapshots of the Middle East.
What’s New With Our Writers:
- Janni Aragon spoke at Rock for Reproductive Justice in Victoria, BC this week.
- Elizabeth Lewis Pardoe attended The Northwestern University Alumnae Board’s Annual Retreat.
Our Writers At Other Blogs:
- Lee Skallerup Bessette reflects on why (and how) she writes as much as she does, wonders how to achieve some sort of work-life balance when life keeps thwarting her, and is already planning how to improve her peer-driven class next semester.
- Melonie Fullick continues the debate about academic blogging, and writes about the difficulty of “measuring” learning and the problems with splitting off research from teaching, at Speculative Diction Blog.
- Liana Silva talks about how writing can sometimes be like a rollercoaster at Words Are My Game and reviews the season premiere of the new show Man Up! at The Script Lab.
- Lee Skallerup Bessette will be attending and presenting at the Canadian Women Writers Conference at Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada, including the pre-conference digital humanities mini-workshop.
- Ana Dinescu will be attending on October 24 a debate organized by the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy, Berlin on the recent “Occupy” protests and on Wednesday October 26 a discussion about the Arab spring, with former Reuters Middle East correspondent Johnny West, at Dialogue Books Berlin.
Read more by
Opinions on Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading