The Mindset of Freshmen
August 24, 2005
Beloit College tries to help academics each fall with a "mindset list" to explain the perspectives of the new class of freshmen.
This year's list noting that most freshmen were born in 1987, explains that, for them:
- Liberace, Jackie Gleason, and Lee Marvin have always been dead.
- Heart-lung transplants have always been possible.
- Wayne Gretzky never played for Edmonton.
- Iran and Iraq have never been at war with each other.
- Voice mail has always been available.
- Bill Gates has always been worth at least a billion dollars.
- They do not remember "a kinder and gentler nation."
- They never saw the shuttle Challenger fly.
- They never saw a Howard Johnson’s with 28 ice cream flavors.
Search for Jobs
New Wilmington, PA
In an ideal location, St. Lawrence is a diverse liberal arts learning community of inspiring faculty, serious students, and accomplished alumni,...
Hunter College, located in the heart of bustling Manhattan, is the largest college in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Founded in 1870...