The Mindset of Freshmen
August 24, 2005
Beloit College tries to help academics each fall with a "mindset list" to explain the perspectives of the new class of freshmen.
This year's list noting that most freshmen were born in 1987, explains that, for them:
- Liberace, Jackie Gleason, and Lee Marvin have always been dead.
- Heart-lung transplants have always been possible.
- Wayne Gretzky never played for Edmonton.
- Iran and Iraq have never been at war with each other.
- Voice mail has always been available.
- Bill Gates has always been worth at least a billion dollars.
- They do not remember "a kinder and gentler nation."
- They never saw the shuttle Challenger fly.
- They never saw a Howard Johnson’s with 28 ice cream flavors.
Search for Jobs
Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) is a multi-campus urban institution, its main campus situated in the historic Charlestown neighborhood of Boston...
Lansing Community College (LCC) was established in 1957 to fulfill growing demand for specialized and technical education opportunities for the...