May 23, 2011
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2011:
- Anne Arundel Community College: Nancy S. Grasmick, Maryland superintendent of schools.
- Baruch College of the City University of New York: Irene M. Dorner, CEO and president of HSBC USA Inc. and HSBC Bank USA, and Russlynn Ali, assistant secretary for civil rights at the U.S. Department of Education.
- Harper College, in Illinois: Connie Payton, the wife of the late Chicago Bears legend Walter Payton and the head of the Walter and Connie Payton Foundation for abused and neglected children.
- Linfield College: Dave Hansen, a former dean and vice president at the college.
- Southern Connecticut State University: Byron Pitts, a reporter for CBS News; Carol Stiff, vice president, programming and acquisitions at ESPN; and Bishop Theodore L. Brooks Sr., the second assistant presiding bishop of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World.
- Union County College: New Jersey State Senator Raymond J. Lesniak.
- Union Institute and University: Jean Quan, mayor of Oakland, and Sylvia Manning, president of the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- University of North Dakota General Commencement (Saturday, May 14): Sen. Kent Conrad.
- Wheaton College, in Massachusetts: Richard Stengel, managing editor of Time.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading