May 1, 2013
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2013:
- Baltimore City Community College: Maryland Lieut. Governor Anthony G. Brown.
- Colby College: Gregory White Smith, the biographer and author.
- Episcopal Divinity School: Right Rev. Michael Curry, the bishop of North Carolina.
- Harper College, in Illinois: Jane Oates, assistant secretary of labor for employment and training administration.
- Johnson C. Smith University: Andrew Young, former mayor of Atlanta and former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.
- McNally Smith College of Music: Yancey Strickler, co-founder of Kickstarter.
- New York University: David Boies, a lawyer in the case seeking to have the Supreme Court reject bans on gay marriage.
- Thunderbird School of Global Management: Douglas Parker, chairman and CEO of US Airways.
- University of Richmond: Amy O’Neill Richard, senior advisor to the U.S. ambassador at large to monitor and combat trafficking in persons; Justice Cleo Elaine Powell of the Supreme Court of Virginia; and Edward L. Ayers, president of the university.
- Washington & Jefferson College: Charlie Batch, quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Wentworth Institute of Technology: Christopher Coleman, director of global design for Google.
- Willamette University: Kathryn Sullivan, acting under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and acting administrator for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Paul De Muniz, retired chief justice of the Oregon Supreme Court.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading