Mindset List, Class of 1915
August 25, 2011
The class of 1915 thinks:
- What Russo-Japanese War?
- Model T Fords have always been available to the public.
- Mr. Dooley has always been holding forth in The Chicago Post.
- Car windows have always been made of isinglass.
- William Jennings Bryan has always been fat.
- They may think the Haymarket Riot is some kind of rural misunderstanding.
- They have grown up with Coca-Cola.
- The Babcock Carriage Company has always been working on an electric car.
- What Boer War?
- King Kelly has never played baseball.
- Ragtime music has always been mainstream.
- Religious leaders have always been telling politicians what to do, or else!
- "Off the hook" has never had anything to do with a fish.
- Player pianos have always been available.
- Russia has always had a burgeoning Communist party.
- Women have always been secretaries.
- They were born the year Grover Cleveland became President for a second time.
- Classmates could include Dorothy Sayers, Jimmy Durante, and Fay Bainter.
- Half of them may have been members of the Frank Merriwell All-Youth-Sports Club.
- The Toledo, St. Louis and Kansas City Railroad has never run in their lifetime.
- No one has ever been able to sit down comfortably to a meal of meat packed by Lithuanian immigrants in Chicago.
- Sears, Roebuck has always been a larger retailer than A.T. Stewart and has always employed more workers than the beef-tallow-candle industry.
Tim Morris is professor and associate chair of English at the University of Texas at Arlington.
- New Presidents or Provosts: Bucknell U., Gustavus Adolphus College, Loyola U. New Orleans, Saint Xavier U., Tarleton State U., Texas A
- Protests and controversy over how U. of Michigan responded to athlete's concussion
- Half a Loaf at Hampton
- Truths R Us
- Gender Bias Alleged -- Again -- at Florida Gulf Coast
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories
St. Edward’s University is one of “America’s Best Colleges.” St. Edward’s University offers an extraordinary educational environment that challenges...
Metropolitan Community College MCC is a comprehensive, full-service public community college supported by the taxpayers of Dodge, Douglas, Sarpy and...