U. of Texas Official Nominated for White House Science Post
- Commencement Speakers Announced: Cal State Dominguez Hills, Delaware Tech, Kalamazoo, Maryville, Monmouth, Occidental, Seton Hall, St. Edward's, Trinity, U. of Puget Sound, U. of Scranton, Vaughn
- Education Dept.'s New College Chief
- A Geneticist for NIH Director
- House withdraws vote on 'science laureate' amid conservative objections
- Strong Backing for Affirmative Action
President Obama has nominated Sherburne (Shere) Abbott, director of the Center for Science and Practice of Sustainability at the University of Texas at Austin, to be associate director of environment for the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy. Abbott formerly was chief international officer at the American Association for the Advancement of Science.