Legal Challenge to California Ban on Affirmative Action
- Supreme Court takes another case involving affirmative action and higher education
- Retreat on Affirmative Action?
- Higher education groups enter another Supreme Court case about race and admissions
- Appeals court rejects suit seeking to end ban on affirmative action
- Supreme Court upholds right of state voters to bar consideration of race in admissions
A student organization will file a suit today in federal court, challenging California's ban on affirmative action by public colleges and universities, and other state agencies, the Los Angeles Times reported. The suit will charge that the ban violates equal protection rights of the black and Latino students who might otherwise be admitted to the university system. Challenges to the right of states to ban affirmative action have been rejected by courts in the past, allowing the bans to stand in the states where voters have approved them. The group filing the suit is the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, Integration, and Immigrant Rights and Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary.