Protest Sets Off Larger Debate Over Outsourced Cafeteria
- Sociology's Crime Problem
- New Presidents or Provosts: Bennett Butler CC Cameron Kwantlen Rutgers Springfield TJU WGU Missouri
- When a University Kills Suicide Research
- New Presidents or Provosts: Bowie State U., Davidson County CC, Hennepin Technical College, Langara College, Ottawa U.-Arizona, Technical College of the Lowcountry
- Israel, South Africa, Academic Boycotts
A student's protest at Kwantlen Polytechnic University, in British Columbia, has escalated into a larger debate over outsourcing and free speech. As part of a class project on "criminal criminology," the students handed out leaflets criticizing the use of Sodexo to manage the university's cafeterias. The materials had been approved by his professor. But Sodexo officials and and four Kwantlen security guards tried to take away the leaflets and then forced him off campus, The Vancouver Sun reported. Now the student and his faculty members are criticizing the way the incident was handled.
MULTIPLE: President, Los Angeles Harbor College, President, Los Angeles Southwest College, President, Los Angeles Valley College