More Doctorates for Cal State?
- Colleges start new programs
- New Programs: Nursing, Law and Medicine, Biomedical Engineering, Entrepreneurship
- New Programs: Horticulture Therapy, Epidemiology, Health Informatics
- New Programs: Environmental Policy, Health Sciences, Health Management, Computer Science
- Two-year colleges in California mull bachelor's degrees
Two bills headed for gubernatorial OK or veto in California would allow the California State University System to start offering doctorates in nursing practice and physical therapy, and the bills have renewed debates over the state's master plan for higher education and the role of doctorates in health fields, The Sacramento Bee reported. Historically, doctorates have been offered by the University of California, not Cal State, but lawmakers approved a bill in 2005 to allow Cal State to offer doctorates in education. Advocates for the new doctorates say that they would fill key needs in the health-care system, but critics charge that the bills reflect the push for credential inflation.