$80M Gift for Duke U.
- Quick Takes: Dillard Finds Temporary Home, at Tulane; Americans and German Win Physics Nobel; No Hurricane Hit to Texas State Credit; Duke Gets $75 Million -- From Duke; Caltech President Retiring; NIH Creates Stem Cell Bank in Wis.
- A Challenge to Billion Dollar Endowments
- Giving to colleges grew 8.2 percent in 2011
- When Big Bucks Come for Sports
- Town-Gown Relations on Trial
The Duke Endowment of Charlotte on Monday announced a gift of $80 million to Duke University, which will be used to renovate the student union and renovate two other buildings that were part of the original campus plan in 1924. The grant is the largest single philanthropic gift in the university's history and in the endowment's 87 years.