Florida Governor Signs Bill to Create New University
- Florida GOP vs. Social Science
- Texas, Florida, and Wisconsin governors see large overlap in higher education platforms
- To accept MOOCs for credit, Florida International U. may set up prior learning assessment safeguards
- U. of Florida history professors fight differential tuition
- U. of Florida races to create online campus as Jan. 1 opening date approaches
Governor Rick Scott, a Florida Republican, on Friday signed legislation to create Florida Polytechnic as a freestanding university, The Miami Herald reported. The campus has been a branch of the University of South Florida. Many higher education leaders in Florida have questioned the wisdom of creating a new university when the state is having difficulty supporting existing institutions. But Scott said that the new university's emphasis on mathematics, science and engineering fields will "generate a positive return on investment."
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/21/2760476/gov-rick-scott-approves-bill-creating.html#storylink=cpy