Sociologists Rally for Suspended Appalachian State Prof
- Faculty panel backs professor in dispute over porn documentary
- Professors criticized after showing sexually explicit videos in class
- Are colleges being too quick to suspend professors?
- Where's My Bench Decorum?
- New Presidents or Provosts: Amherst College, Appalachian State U., Haskell Indian Nations U., North Georgia College
More than 300 professors from around the world have signed a petition asking Appalachian State University to reinstate Professor Jammie Price, according to a news release. Price's supporters planned to hand Provost Lori Gonzalez the petition on Wednesday. Price was suspended last month after showing an anti-pornography documentary in her sociology class. The video, which she checked out from the university library, included explicit scenes. Price was suspended after students complained that she had created a hostile learning environment by, among other things, not adequately warning them about the documentary's content. Price's advocates believe her suspension is a breach of academic freedom.