Where Competency-Based Degree Programs Work
- Lumina-funded group seeks to lead conversation on competency-based education
- Catholic college's completion coaching with prior-learning credits
- Direct assessment and the feds take on competency-based education
- Earning college credit for MOOCs through prior learning assessment
- Competency-based education heats up with new entrants
In a new report the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning describes various "showcase" models of competency-based degree programs, which are efficient at eliminating redundant coursework or unnecessary degree requirements. There are a variety of sound approaches to competency-based education, the report found, which ensure the quality of a degree by focusing on outcomes rather than the amount of time students spend on coursework. The council also encourages the use of student assessments, which can be used to measure students' prior learning.