The Rise of Online Teacher Ed
- Essay calls for programs to use fellowships to attract top students to education schools
- Higher ed discovers competency, again (essay)
- Most presidents doubt Obama's plan to promote affordable higher education
- Survey finds new Ph.D.s less likely to have job commitments
- PhD Programs at Russian Universities: Does more time help?
Online teacher education is growing rapidly, according to an analysis published by USA Today. The newspaper found that four large universities (three of them for-profit) have become the largest teacher education institutions in the country, measured by degrees awarded. In the top spot is the University of Phoenix Online, which awarded 5,976 education degrees in 2011, up from 72 a decade before. The top four institutions awarded 1 in 16 bachelor's degree and post-graduate certificates in education in 2011, and 1 in 11 master's and doctoral degrees.