AAU Calls for Action on Gun Violence
- Professor's tweet and university's reaction stir debate on academic freedom
- U. of Rhode Island president issues new statement about controversial professor
- Higher ed officials say Michigan gun bill wouldn't change gun policies on campus
- College presidents urge Obama to act on gun violence, pledge support
- 2 killed at Kentucky community college
The Association of American Universities on Thursday issued a statement backing reform of gun laws in the United States. While calling for reform of gun laws, the statement also calls for improvements in the treatment of mental illness and consideration of the "culture of contemporary media" in promoting violence. "We claim no special expertise in these domains," the statement says, but it calls for a comprehensive solution to gun violence, noting the tragedies at Virginia Tech and in Newtown, Conn.