'Harlem Shake' Video Leads to Oxford Librarian's Firing
- 'Harlem vs. Columbia University'
- New Presidents or Provosts: CUNY Graduate Center, Nouveau U., Santa Clara U., Seattle Community Colleges, U. of the Arts
- Quick Takes: Tech Spending Up 35%, Olympic Appeal to Harvard, Drury Turns to Endowment for Shortfalls, Students Want Oxford's Last Women's College to Admit Men
- Quick Takes: U.S. Panel to Meet (Behind Closed Doors), Chicago Sells Yerkes, Training Physician-Scientists, DeVry's President Leaves, Oxford's Last Women's College to Admit Men, Williams Bars Sudan Stocks, De Niro Archives, New FAFSA, iPods Over Beer
- Oxford debates the role of its librarians and libraries
Students at Oxford University are protesting administrators' decision to dismiss a librarian because she let a group of students produce a Harlem Shake video in the library of St. Hilda's College, The Independent of London reported. The student librarian, Calypso Nash, reportedly lost her job even though she was not involved in filming the video, which was recorded in seven minutes at 11:30 p.m. to minimize disruption, according to the newspaper. Many of the student participants were fined for their roles, too.