Obama Will Announce Major Effort on Brain Research
- In wake of controversy over Harvard dissertation on race and IQ, scrutiny for Michigan State researcher
- Quick Takes: Obama Adds to Science Team, RIAA Shifts Strategy, Milgram's Shock Experiment Still Works, Unusual Ethics Choice, Tufts Loses $20M, E-Mail About Va. Tech Killer, Morris Brown Survival in Doubt, Witch Sues Nebraska
- Quick Takes: $100 Million Gift for Harvard, Eau Claire Suspends Religion Rule, Title IX Dispute at Cincinnati
- Predictions about higher ed technology in 2013 (essay)
- Unsettling the University-Territory Relationship via Applied Sciences NYC
President Obama will today announce a $100 million initiative to invent and improve technologies to understand the brain, The New York Times reported. Officials are comparing the effort's ambition and potential impact to that of the Human Genome Project. Part of the plan is to require study of the ethical implications of the new technologies and new research that could be enabled.