Janet Napolitano Reportedly Is Next President of U. of California
- Commencement Speakers Announced: Emory, Franklin
- Science as Public Service
- Commencement Speakers Announced: Assumption, College of Saint Rose, Hamilton, Huntingdon, Mass. Pharmacy, Northern Essex CC, Oklahoma Christian, Philadelphia U., Pomona, Quinnipiac, U. of Hartford, Virginia Commonwealth
- Colleges name commencement speakers
- Commencement Speakers Announced: Antioch Los Angeles, Bay Path, Howard, Mohawk Valley CC, SUNY New Paltz, U. of Massachusetts at Boston, U. of North Dakota, U. of Richmond, U. of the South
Janet Napolitano, the secretary of homeland security, will become the next president of the University of California System, The Los Angeles Times reported. The choice is unexpected because Napolitano, formerly governor of Arizona, is not an academic. But the Times reported that board members believe her Cabinet experience will help the system dealing with the federal government on many research issues.
In her current position, she has spoken about the importance of science and technology in promoting national interests. She published a Views piece in Inside Higher Ed in 2011 on this theme, adapted from a lecture she gave at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
At homeland security, she formed an academic advisory committee, created a website to help foreign students learn their options for enrolling in the United States and pushed for legislation to help "DREAM" students who were brought to the United States by their parents as children, without legal documentation.