U.S. Budget Cuts Prompt 18% of Scientists to Consider Moving Abroad
A survey of 3,700 scientists across disciplines has found large numbers reporting that their research and the way they spend their time have been severely affected by the across-the-board budget cuts ordered by Congress. The survey -- conducted by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular in collaboration with other science groups -- reported the following findings, among others:
- 18 percent are considering continuing their research career in another country.
- 64 percent report that they are having difficulty getting grant funding.
- 45 percent have a colleague who has lost his or her job.
- 80 percent report that the time they spend writing grant applications has increased.
- 64 percent said that their grant funding has decreased.