Unexpected Transition at Regent U.
- Not So Politically Incorrect
- Online, Christian Students
- New Presidents or Provosts: Central College (Iowa), Kansas State U., Nassau CC, Regent U.
- Presidential Ouster at William & Mary
- New Presidents or Provosts: Green Mountain College, King Abdullah U. of Science and Technology, Lansing CC, Purdue U., Regent U., U. of Massachusetts-Lowell, U. of Richmond, U. of Texas-Arlington
Regent University announced Friday that Carlos Campo, president since 2010, was leaving the position immediately. The announcement did not give a reason for Campo's departure from Regent, a prominent force in Christian higher education that was founded by Pat Robertson. Via e-mail, Campo said that "my departure agreement with Regent precludes us from adding to what has already been stated, and I think we all feel it is just time to move forward."
There has been some online speculation in Virginia newspaper that Campo faced resistance for his strong support for immigration reform. Campo is not alone among leaders of evangelical institutions or of Christian colleges in advocating such a position, but the stance is controversial among many conservatives. In his e-mail to Inside Higher Ed, Campo said: "I can say that my stance on immigration was NOT a factor (Pat Robertson and I align perfectly there -- his conservative constituency has long disagreed with him on this issue)."