Education Dept. Publishes New Rules on Gainful Employment
- Education Dept. Rebuffs Colleges on Rules
- Quick Takes: Education Dept. Study Backs Program Administration Wants to Kill, Security Glitch in Loan Database, Survey Suggests SAT Scores Didn't Fall, Boston Backs Off Lab Rules, Fields Medal Rejected, Student Editor Apologizes, USC Sues Over Hospital
- Education Dept. Won't Revisit Loan Rules
- After nearly 15 years, Education Dept. revives fines against two institutions
- Education Dept. Choice: Narrow or Broad?
The U.S. Education Department this morning formally published its proposed regulations requiring vocational programs at for-profit institutions and community colleges to show that they are preparing graduates for "gainful employment." The department previewed the rules this month, drawing criticism from those who thought they were unfairly tough and too weak alike.