Gates Grants for 'Breakthrough Learning Models'
June 20, 2012
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation on Tuesday announced $9 million in grants for "breakthrough learning models" in higher education:
The awards include:
- $3.3 million to EDUCAUSE for four winners of the Next Generation Learning Challenges' latest RFP. These winners include state systems, four-year and two-year programs, and all have signed up to deliver significant improvements in completion at scale, at affordable tuition rates.
- $3 million to MyCollege Foundation to establish a nonprofit college that will blend adaptive online learning solutions with other student services.
- $1 million to Massachusetts Institute of Technology to develop and offer a new, free prototype computer science online course through edX, a joint venture between MIT and Harvard, and partner with a postsecondary institution that targets low-income young adults to experiment with use of the course in a "flipped classroom."
- $1 million to the Research Foundation of the City University of New York to support the launch of the New Community College (NCC) at CUNY.
- $500,000 to University of the People to support the pursuit of accreditation.
- $450,000 to the League for Innovation in the Community College to develop and pilot a national consortium of leading online two- and four-year colleges that will help increase seat capacity in the community college system and support more low-income young adults in attaining a postsecondary credential. The consortium will initially include Coastline Community College (CA), the University of Massachusetts Online, Pennsylvania State World Campus and the University of Illinois-Springfield.
Full-Time Lecturer Openings in Business Analytics, Entrepreneurship and Management, and Professional Communication
Lasell College, founded in 1851, is an independent, non-sectarian institution of higher education located eight miles from Boston in Newton, Massachus...
The University of West Georgia is a leading residential, doctoral comprehensive university that offers a broad undergraduate and graduate curriculum b...