May 3, 2013
The following colleges and universities have announced their commencement speakers for spring 2013:
- Berea College: Peter J. O’Connor, the civil rights activist.
- Concordia College, in New York: Shephard W. Hill, president of Boeing International.
- Dominican University, in Illinois: Christopher Kennedy, former president of Merchandise Mart Properties, Inc., and chairman of Joseph P. Kennedy Enterprises, Inc., the investment firm of the Kennedy family.
- Iona College: Lieut. Andrew Kinard, an Iraq War veteran.
- Manchester University: Sarah Kurtz, a principal scientist and reliability group manager for the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Manhattan College: Bernard P. Pierorazio, superintendent of Yonkers Public Schools.
- Maryville College: John C. Thornton, founder and CEO of Thunder Enterprises.
- Northeastern University: Jim Yong Kim, president of the World Bank.
- Saint John's University, in Minnesota: The Rev. Dennis Dease, retiring president of the University of St. Thomas.
- St. Ambrose University, in Iowa: Sister Barbara Moore, a founding member of the National Black Sisters Conference.
- University of Southern Maine: Senator Susan Collins, a Republican from Maine, and Mary G.F. Bitterman, president of the Bernard Osher Foundation.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute: Eric Lander, president and founding director of the Broad Institute of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University.
Read more by
Today’s News from Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Quick Takes
What Others Are Reading