A national survey of college students at four-year colleges and universities has found that many college women are in, or witness to, abusive dating relationships. The findings include the following:
- 43 percent of dating college women report that they have experienced abusive dating behaviors including physical, sexual, technological, verbal or controlling abuse.
- 29 percent of college women say they have been in an abusive dating relationship.
- More than half of college students who report experiencing dating violence said it occurred in college.
- 58 percent of college students say they wouldn't know how to help someone who is a victim of dating abuse.
- 38 percent of college students say they wouldn't know how to get help for themselves if they were victims of dating violence.
The survey was released by Love Is Respect, a group that promotes education and policies to promote healthy and non-abusive relationships.
Opinions on Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading