Graduation ceremonies at Xavier University of Louisiana -- the only historically black, Roman Catholic college -- will take place this year without New Orleans Archbishop Alfred Hughes. That's because the archbishop has ruled out appearing as long as the university continues with its plans to have Donna Brazile as the main speaker (and honorary degree recipient), The New Orleans Times-Picayune reported. Brazile, a political consultant and news commentator, is known for her liberal views, and she supports abortion rights. Brazile sent an e-mail to the newspaper in which she said: "As a life long devoted Catholic, I am sorry the archbishop will boycott this celebration of the class of 2009. I will remain faithful to the Catholic Church and my Christian faith which keeps me grounded." The newspaper noted that three years ago a politician who supports abortion rights spoke at Xavier's graduation, without controversy. That would be Barack Obama.
- Quick Takes: Layoffs at Xavier U. of La., Georgia Press Withdraws Short Story Collection, Seton Hall Demotes Assistant Dean for Criticizing Church's Anti-Gay Stance, Jail Terms in Chico Hazing Death, Anti-Gay Comment Divides Duquesne
- The Battle to Control Catholic Commencements
- Tensions over social issues front and center at several Catholic colleges
- Quick Takes: Harassment, Ethics and Racial Preferences
- Moral Leadership of Presidents and Their Colleges
- Quick Takes: N.Y. Passes Lender-College Law, New Orleans Colleges Report Good Admissions Season, Rules Proposed for Military Recruiting on Campuses, Leadership Changes at Ohio U., $100M for U. of the Pacific, Pledge on Environmental Research
- Quick Takes: Election Day at Last, Early Results In: Endowments Down, Obama Backs College Football Playoff, Emory Reviews Research Policies, Elevated Debate at Southern U. New Orleans
- Quick Takes: Adjunct Dismissal Questioned, Indiana Buyouts, Temple U. Suspends 4 for Possible Anti-Semitic Attack, Obama on Books, Honor for Ex-Internees, Brown Adds Aid, Win for Upward Bound, Apps Up in New Orleans, 'Unplugged' Frost, Pay to Play in NJ?
Search for Jobs