Clarence G. Newsome is leaving the presidency of Shaw University as the institution faces a growing deficit, The Raleigh News & Observer reported. The historically black college faces a debt of about $20 million. In December, more than 100 students held a protest in Newsome's office over dormitory conditions, the newspaper reported, including moldy bathrooms, toilets that don't work and overcrowding. Supporters have vowed to raise money to help the institution, and all 40 members of the college's board have agreed to donate at least $50,000 each.
- Quick Takes: Anger Over Tennessee Plan, Stony Brook Research Assistants Unionize, Anti-Gay Column at U. of Washington, Shaw Protests on Dorms, Native American Anger at Utah
- New Presidents or Provosts: Cleveland State U., Drexel U., Greenville College, Monroe CC, Stephens College, U. of Idaho, Western Washington U.
- New CEO for Online Education Company of New York Times
- Obama Jokes About Honorary Degree Controversy
- Financial Aid Group Lays Off 5 Employees
- Graduation Day, U of All People
- On the Chopping Block
- Small Town, Big Scholarships
Search for Jobs