The University of Winnipeg has put on hold for at least this academic year a plan to merge the departments of philosophy, classics and religious studies into a new humanities department, The Winnipeg Free Press reported. Many faculty members throughout Canada opposed the merger, and concerns remain about the state of the philosophy offerings. Winnipeg officials said they were holding off because of misconceptions about the plan. Students and faculty members angry over the merger plan have set up a Facebook group and an online petition.
- Outmoded Engineers?
- As colleges struggle, some look to partnerships and mergers for relief
- Secret merger, now public, meets opposition in Georgia
- College merger negotiations are long and complicated
- A Shift in Direction at Howard
- Essay on issues for colleges to consider when mergers are being discussed
- New Strategy for Small Ph.D. Programs
- Will More Colleges Merge?
Search for Jobs