Even as thousands of students at the University of California's campuses prepare for massive rallies Thursday over state budget cuts, they continue to be roiled by racial incidents. The University of California at San Diego, which has seen a series of incidents, had a new one Monday night when authorities found a white pillowcase on a statue outside the library, making the pillowcase appear to be a Klan-style hood. Police are investigating the incident. Meanwhile, at the University of California at Santa Cruz, officials were denouncing a drawing of a noose on a bathroom door, in apparent reference to a recent noose incident at the San Diego conference.
- What should educators make of spray-painting campus statues and symbols of the old South?
- New Programs: Gender Studies, Science, Teacher Education
- After Attacks on Researchers, Caution and Steadfastness
- Quick Takes: New Measure of What Students Learn, Ominous RFP, Noose and Blackface Incidents, Opposition to Community College Measure, Hiring Surge at Michigan, Accusations From the Past, Oxford's Leader to Leave
- Raising Graduation Rates, and Questions
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories