The San Jose/Evergreen Community College District has agreed to pay $100,000 to June Sheldon, who lost her job as an adjunct biology instructor after students complained about her answer to a question about homosexuality and genetics. Some students accused her of making anti-gay statements, while she said she had provided factual answers that were not accurately described. Under the settlement, the district maintains it did nothing wrong, but it also will remove references to Sheldon having been dismissed from her file.
- First Amendment in the Classroom
- New Presidents or Provosts: Brevard CC, Galen U., Hillsborough CC, Pierce College (Calif.), San Jose/Evergreen CC District, Seattle Central CC, Wittenberg U.
- New Presidents and Provosts: Brevard CC, Galen U., Hillsborough CC, Pierce College (Calif.), San Jose/Evergreen CC District, Seattle Central CC, Wittenberg U.
- Hostile Climate?
- Quick Takes: Texas Chief Eyed for U. of Cal., Texas-Brownsville Wins Fence Fight, TCU Moves Event With Rev. Wright, Changes in Common Application, District Bans Blood Drives, Antioch Protest at 1 Dupont, Strike at Wilfred Laurier, Furor Over Ottawa Paper
- Court finds HR director's free speech rights were limited
- Teaching or Preaching?
- When Equity Official Takes Anti-Gay Stance
Search for Jobs