Robert Manning, chair of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees, resigned from the board Wednesday amid reports that he was frustrated with what he viewed as political interference by Gov. Deval Patrick, who appointed him, The Boston Globe reported. The governor recently expressed concerns about the search for a new system president; soon afterward, a leading candidate for the position, Martin T. Meehan, chancellor of the UMass campus at Lowell, withdrew from consideration.
- Quick Takes: 3 Delaware State Students Shot, Coach vs. Admissions, B-School Accreditation Plan, Settlement of Battery Charge, More Women at Caltech, Dispute on Possible Sale of Art, St. Ambrose Drops Name of Bishop From Library, Building Boom in Mass.
- In Living Color
- Quick Takes: Clinton's Latest Plans, Progress for Latino Students, Noose on Prof's Door, Nobel in Chemistry, Contract Approved in Pa., Vote of No Confidence at Antioch, Minority Football Hiring, $2B Plan in Mass., $100M for MIT, UK Science Faulted
- Penn and U.S. Settle Over Research Death
- Quick Takes: Anti-Muslim Posters Were Satire, Lessing Wins Nobel in Literature, NYU-Polytechnic Merger Advances, Barriers for Asian Americans, Museums Condemn Randolph, Advice to Senate on Endowments, Cuomo on Lender Marketing, Mass. Stem Cell Rules
- New Presidents or Provosts: Briarcliffe College, DeVry U.-Fort Washington, Elizabeth City State U., Housatonic CC, Kent State U., LeTourneau U., Marywood U., Newman U., Ryerson U., U. of Hawaii-Manoa, U. of Massachusetts-Lowell
- Mulling Tuition Policy at Community Colleges
- Colleges announce commencement speakers
Search for Jobs