January 24, 2011
President Obama on Friday named 11 individuals and 4 organizations as recipients of the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring.
The individuals are:
- Richard L. Cardenas of St. Mary’s University in Texas.
- Anthony Carpi of John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York.
- Isaac J. Crumbly of Fort Valley State University.
- Jo Handelsman of Yale University.
- Douglass L. Henderson of the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
- Bruce A. Jackson of Massachusetts Bay Community College.
- Marigold L. Linton of the University of Kansas.
- Maja J. MatariÄ‡ of the University of Southern California.
- Gerard F. R. Parkin of Columbia University.
- Julio J. Ramirez of Davidson College.
- Michelle A. Williams of the University of Washington.
The four organizational efforts honored are:
- The Center for Innovation in Engineering and Science Education at Stevens Institute of Technology.
- The Baccalaureate and Beyond Community College Mentoring Program at the State University of New York at Purchase.
- The Grinnell Science Project, at Grinnell College. (An Inside Higher Ed profile of that project may be found here.)
- The Women in Science and Engineering Mentoring Initiatives at the Center for Research on Women and Gender at the University of Illinois at Chicago, IL
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading