Frances Fox Piven, a noted sociology professor at the City University of New York Graduate Center, has become the target of death threats since Glenn Beck has blamed her many times for being responsible for the current economic problems in the United States, The New York Times reported. Beck, the conservative Fox commentator, blames Piven because of an article she co-wrote with her late husband in 1966 called "The Weight of the Poor: A Strategy to End Poverty." The Center for Constitutional Rights, a liberal think tank, wrote to Fox officials last week to ask that Beck stop making statements that could incite those threatening Piven. Joel Cheatwood, a senior vice president at Fox News, told the Times that Beck had quoted Piven accurately. "'The Glenn Beck Program,' probably above and beyond any on television, has denounced violence repeatedly,” Cheatwood said.
- 23 Academic Groups Condemn Glenn Beck Attacks on Frances Fox Piven
- N.C. Community Colleges May Bar Students Who Raise Safety Issues
- 'Lessons From A Street-Wise Professor'
- For-Profit Colleges Open Another Front
- Restoring the Faculty Voice
- The Sinking States
- Commencement Speakers Announced: Duke, Hartwick, Stanford, U. of Vermont
- The Flaw of Overall Rankings
Search for Jobs