March 2, 2011
President Obama on Tuesday named the 10 winners of the National Humanities Medal for 2010. They are:
- Daniel Aaron, the Victor S. Thomas Professor of English and American Literature Emeritus at Harvard University.
- Bernard Bailyn, Adams University Professor at Harvard University.
- Jacques Barzun, former dean and provost at Columbia University.
- Wendell E. Berry, the poet and novelist.
- Roberto González Echevarría, Sterling Professor of Hispanic and Comparative Literatures at Yale University.
- Stanley N. Katz, director of the Princeton University Center for Arts and Cultural Policy Studies.
- Joyce Carol Oates, the author.
- Arnold Rampersad, biographer and professor and former associate dean at Stanford University.
- Philip Roth, the novelist.
- Gordon S. Wood, the Alva O. Way University Professor and Professor of History Emeritus at Brown University.
Opinions on Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading