Many college students want commencement speakers who are famous and some new student groups and Facebook pages suggest any kind of fame will do. George Washington University already has a commencement speaker for this year (New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg). But students at the university have started a campaign to get Charlie Sheen as the 2012 commencement speaker, attracting considerable support on Facebook and Twitter (typical comment: "I don't want some stiff-ass politician boring me to death as I graduate"). The GW Hatchet, the student newspaper, has declared the movement "a satirical ploy." But the idea may be spreading. Other Facebook pages want Sheen to speak at commencement at the University of Georgia, the University of Missouri at Columbia and West Chester University in Pennsylvania.
- George Washington U. admits that it incorrectly told applicants it was need-blind
- Commencement Speakers Announced: Becker, Darton, Graceland, LaGrange, Nova Southeastern, Old Dominion, Paul Smith's, RISD, Saint Michael's, U. of Arkansas Pine Bluff, Wesleyan, West Chester
- After-Hours Intellectualism
- Is Facebook Mature Enough To Be A Portal Solution
- Berkeley chancellor blocks attempt to rescind invitation to Bill Maher
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories