Two Alabama community colleges -- Bevill State and Northwest Shoals Community Colleges -- have announced that they will deal with state budget cuts in part by shutting down athletic departments, The Huntsville Times reported. Bevill State has men and women's basketball, softball, baseball and track teams. Northwest Shoals has teams in baseball, men and women's basketball, softball, women's volleyball and cheerleading.
- Jocks Gone Wild?
- Student interest, or lack thereof, drives change in two-year college athletics
- After slight dip, athletes' graduation rates back up
- NCAA athlete graduation rates up in football and men's basketball, but down over all
- Who Is More Influential -- Jesse Owens or Dwight Eisenhower?
- NCAA postseason bans for poor academic performance continue to rise, especially at HBCUs
- But I'm an Athlete
- College Sports and Spending
Search for Jobs