An American student at the American University in Cairo was arrested Friday and charged with fomenting dissent, the Associated Press reported. University officials said that they had no information about the arrest, which came amid a series of arrests of Americans working for nongovernmental organizations that promote democracy. Students at the university -- and students at many other universities in Cairo -- have been calling for a general strike this week to protest the continued control of the government by the military, a year after Hosni Mubarak's ouster.
- Defusing Tensions in Egypt
- Arab uprisings push U.S. students from Egypt to Lebanon
- Hybrid University Democracy in Egypt
- An Academic Office Trashed in Egypt
- What do the Egyptian Student Elections Mean?: The Competing Parties and the Results
- Transition in Egypt
- 'The University in Chains'
- Getting Out of Egypt
Search for Jobs