A student at Florida Atlantic University was physically removed from a class and then tased when she refused to get into a police car, following an in-class outburst that included expletives and statements about hurting people. The incident in class was filmed and posted to YouTube. (Warning: the video contains graphic language.)
A police report on the incident said that the student, a black female, started yelling at the instructor in class, saying things such as "white people suck, Jewish people who think this world is theirs which is not, I will fucking kill you at the Holocaust events all over the world." Many of her remarks involved racial slurs, and she called various people "sand niggers" and "white niggers." The police report said that a Taser was used on her when she refused to get into a police car.
The university released a statement from Charles Brown, vice president of student affairs. "In order to provide for the safety of all concerned, the student had to be physically removed from the classroom by two FAU employees. The FAU Police Department escorted the student off of campus property and transported her to a local hospital.... In light of today’s information, the dean of students is taking immediate action regarding this student." A university spokeswoman, citing confidentiality requirements, declined to say what action was taken.
- How should faculty deal with classroom disruptors
- Essay on deadling with racist ideas of international students
- In Grad Admissions, Where Is Class?
- Quick Takes: Foundation Reveals Secret Scholarships, Education Statistics, Sallie Mae Buys Upromise, Fraudulent Grant Applications, More Scrutiny for Career Education, Biblical Literacy Urged, Who Should Run Oxford?
- Quick Takes: Injunction Blocks NASA Rules, Another Loss at Virginia Tech, UMass Alumni Dispute, Research Digs at South Pole, Recruiting Blacks to Computer Science, Semester May Be Doomed in Israel, 'American Idol' Scholarship, British Lecturer vs. Google
- Student protesters accuse Florida Atlantic University of violating their First Amendment rights
- Grad student defends art project of placing "white only" signs at SUNY Buffalo
- Essay on Florida Atlantic University and academic freedom
Search for Jobs