What's so funny about a 68-year-old classics and religious studies professor -- decked out in a blue flannel shirt, navy dress pants pulled up to a generous height and sporty black shoes -- cruising around campus on a skateboard? Tom Winter still isn't sure, but the University of Nebraska at Lincoln instructor is playing along now that a photo of him riding an Arbor Pocket Rocket skateboard has gone viral, the Lincoln Journal Star reported. The picture, apparently taken by a Nebraska student, was the most-viewed item on Reddit.com one day last week and has been the subject of dozens of mock captions on Imgur.com.
Winter, who rides his bike to work every day, opts for a skateboard when he moves around campus. "I'm 19, but my joints are all of 68 years old," he told the Journal Star. "Sometimes, walking is simply unpleasant."
Imgur caption writers wrote "He has a Ph.D. in epicness" and "Tony Hawk in his senior years." Others were less kind: "Suddenly, broken hip," reads one comment. Sights of Winter weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic as his gray hair and decorative ties flap in the wind have long made him a cult celebrity in Lincoln. But the former roller skating champion who has spent more than 40 years on the Nebraska faculty seems to be taking his newfound global fame in stride.
"It's a pretty good photo," he told the Lincoln newspaper.
- Detained Nebraska Prof Will Be Able to Leave China
- University Settles Lawsuit by Witch for $40,000
- Nebraska Press Buys Jewish Publisher's Titles
- Cartoon Caption Contest Turns 4 (Months Old)
- Will Photo Haunt Penn President?
- New Programs: Medical Assistance, Business Studies, International Business, Space and Telecommunications Law
- U. of Nebraska, After Heated Debate, Adds Partner Benefits
- 3 Historians Win Bancroft Honor
Search for Jobs