Higher Education Linked to Better Health
May 17, 2012
People with higher degree attainment and their families have healthier lives, according to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Among the findings:
- In 2007-2010 in households where the head of household had less than a high school education, 24 percent of boys and 22 percent of girls were obese. In households where the head had a bachelor’s degree or higher, 11 percent for males aged 2-19 years and 7 percent for females were obese.
- In 2007-2010, women 25 years of age and over with less than a bachelor’s degree were more likely to be obese (39 percent - 43 percent) than those with a bachelor’s degree or higher (25 percent).
- In 2010, 31 percent of adults 25-64 years of age with a high school diploma or less education were smokers, compared with 24 percent of adults with some college and 9 percent of adults with a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Between 1996-2006, the gap in life expectancy at age 25 between those with less than a high school education and those with a bachelor’s degree or higher increased by 1.9 years for men and 2.8 years for women. On average in 2006, 25-year-old men without a high school diploma had a life expectancy 9.3 years less than those with a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- U.S. should curtail student loans to help taxpayers and students (essay)
- Study Finds Head Impacts Impair New Learning in Some College Athletes
- Movers and Shakers: College of the Holy Cross, Emory U., Lipman Hearne, Mercy College, Ohio Wesleyan U., Phi Kappa Phi, U. of Massachusetts-Amherst
- UNC-Greensboro may offer its first fully online degree -- in philosophy
- San Antonio College officials debate online office hours
- Higher ed split on merits of patent company Intellectual Ventures
- Cuban Universities Slash Enrollments
- New presidents provosts UAE Great Basin Haverford NSC Potomac UCSD Tulsa
Search for Jobs
Los Altos Hills, CA
Buzzards Bay, MA
Central Carolina Technical College is a comprehensive, public, two-year institution of higher education that is dedicated to fostering a positive...
Founded in 1830, the University of Richmond is one of America's premier private universities. The University blends the intimacy of a small college...