Australia's government issued a report Saturday about the need for the country to engage more with Asia -- and education at all levels is involved with this goal. Among the recommendations: sending more Australian students to study abroad in Asia, adding to the study of Asian countries and languages at Australian universities, building research programs that link Australian and Asian faculty members, and making Asian language study (in Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian and Japanese) available and encouraged in Australia's elementary and secondary schools.
- Debate over athletics vs. academics rages after Australian university's language cuts
- Australians debate prospect that Beijing will encourage Chinese student protests
- 'But Where Does That Leave French?'
- Red Hot China
- Report calls for end to grouping of Asian-American students in one category
- Australia's Decline
- Unprecedented Detail on Asian Applicants
- Debate renews over Confucius Institutes
Search for Jobs