July 9, 2013
President Obama has named 12 people to receive the National Humanities medal:
- Edward L. Ayers, president of the University of Richmond and historian of the Civil War era.
- William G. Bowen, former president of Princeton University, and author of books about higher education.
- Jill Ker Conway, former president of Smith College.
- Natalie Zemon Davis, Henry Charles Lea Professor of History Emeritus.
- Frank Deford, the sports writer.
- Joan Didion, the essayist and novelist.
- Robert D. Putnam, professor of government at Harvard University.
- Marilynne Robinson, the novelist.
- Kay Ryan, former poet laureate of the United States.
- Robert B. Silvers, co-founder of The New York Review of Books.
- Anna Deavere Smith, the actress and playwright.
- Camilo José Vergara, the photographer.
More details about the honorees may be found here.
Opinions on Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed’s Blog U
What Others Are Reading