MALDEF, the Latino civil rights organization, on Tuesday announced a suit against Pomona College over the tenure denial of Alma Martinez, who had taught in the theater and dance department. The suit says that the college discriminated against Martinez on the basis of her gender and national origin. While details of the alleged discrimination were not provided, the MALDEF statement said that Martinez had unanimous backing for tenure from her department. A college spokesman told The Los Angeles Times that there was no bias involved in the decision, but that he could not discuss the case because it is in litigation.
- To Sue or Not to Sue
- Two American U. professors say they didn't get tenure due to their age
- Q&A with author of new book on litigation and higher education
- Protection or Loophole?
- Newly Tenured ... at Austin, Pomona, Saint Xavier, Thomas Jefferson Law
- Professor fired for sexual harassment sues University of Idaho
- More Than a Coincidence?
- Less Immunity for Public Colleges?
Search for Jobs