The Ig Nobel Prizes -- the annual spoof of the real Nobels -- were announced Thursday night. Prizes honored breakthrough discoveries on the impact on mice of listening to the opera, of beer on self-perceptions of one's physical attractiveness (it turns out that if you drink a lot you will think you are more attractive) and of the probability of cows lying down and standing up. Details are available here. (The real Nobels are announced next month.)
- Long Distance Mom: Dove's Real Beauty Campaign
- Quick Takes: F-Word Editor at Colorado State Keeps Job, Big Win for RIAA, Clinton Vows to Defend Science, Biden's Education Plan, Ig Nobel Prizes, 'Pimpin' Film Leads to Prof's Suspension, Protests Over Berkeley-BP Deal
- Nobel Doubts
- Tabloid Science
- Quick Takes: House GOP Proposes Aid for Hurricane Victims, U. of New Orleans Starts Online Semester, Promoting Higher Ed for Students With Developmental Disabilities, Revamped GRE, Ig Nobels for Work on Slowly Dripping Tar and Replacement Dog Testicles
- Maturity in Academia or What is Knowledge For?
- review of Ted Anton, 'The Longevity Seekers: Science, Business, and the Fountain of Youth'
Search for Jobs