The Institute of International Education on Tuesday announced an expansion of its consortium aimed at raising funds to provide emergency scholarships and fellowships to Syrian students and scholars. The partnering organizations have committed $3 million and are hoping to raise another $4 million in university commitments and funds to, among other things, pay for 600 scholarships for Syrian students: 200 scholarships for Syrian students in Lebanon, Turkey and Iraq, 100 in other countries in the Middle East and North Africa region, 100 in North America, 100 in Europe, and 100 in Latin America.
IIE estimates that in 2012-13, the first year of the effort, the consortium raised $3.8 million in assistance for approximately 100 Syrian scholars and students.
- The Syrian refugee crisis and higher education
- Organizations make $2 million commitment to aid Syrian students and scholars.
- The fund raising drive for Syrian scholars and students continues
- Arab uprisings push U.S. students from Egypt to Lebanon
- Gift starts effort at Oxford to adopt Ivy-style aid program
Search for Jobs
Popular Job Categories